The Adventures of April

We shall not cease from exploration - And the end of all our exploring - Will be to arrive where we started - And know the place for the first time. -- T.S. Eliot

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Xela

Hola! This week I am in Xela (shay-la), the second largest city in Guatemala. It is very pleasant, but all in all I am getting very READY to wrap up these intense spanish lessons and hit the road, especially to somewhere warmer! It is usually in the 50s or 60s here in the days, so I am wearing about half of my clothes all of the time!

This weekend I am doing something crazy - climbing a huge volcano and camping overnight! I´m not sure if I´m actually going to be able to do it, but I´m going to give it a go because it sounds like such an adventure! It is the trip that the school is organizing. The volcano is the highest point in Central America (=altitute sickness for me!) and you can see into Mexico from the top. I´m very excited! Then on Monday I start to move, first to Tekal, one of the largest and most wonderful Mayan cities, and then on to the Yucatan for a few days of sun and relaxation before I go to El Salvador.

Otherwise, not much new on my end. I did meet somebody from Michigan for the first time and I was surprised at how excited I got over this. You can take the girl out of Michigan, but you can´t take the Michigan out of the girl apparently. And he had heard of Alma College!

Okay, back to espanol. Thanks for all of your emails even if I can´t write back at length. I really appreciate it, and I am looking forward to spending time with you all when I return!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home