The Adventures of April

We shall not cease from exploration - And the end of all our exploring - Will be to arrive where we started - And know the place for the first time. -- T.S. Eliot

Monday, September 04, 2006

Monterrico

This past weekend I went to Monterrico, Guatemala´s best beach location. And one the only locations... the country isn´t too much for beaches. Anyway, figured this would be an easy trip for me to do alone to warm myself up for three more months of traveling alone.

So the trip down was lovely, nice van ride, and the shuttle was empty besides me. When we arrived in Monterrico, however, there were hundereds and hundereds of men surronding our van, tapping and yelling at the windows at me. It was not enjoyable. I almost laid at the bottom of the van. Turns about there was a Gallo convention in town that same weekend. Gallo is the national beer of Guatemala.

So my first concern was finding a hotel that wasn´t overun with drunk/drinking men. Luckily I was successful. I spent the rest of my time relaxing on the beach, reading, and of course studying mi espanol.

So the traveling alone went fine, except the first thing you always think is ¨this is so amazing!¨ and the next thing you think is ¨I wish I had somebody to share it with!¨ But I am grateful nonetheless.

I did get approached a lot on the beach, one time by a (I swear) 14-year-old claiming to be in medical school (Terris!). On the plus side I am getting the tannest I´ve every been in my life; now instead my arms just looking like Robin William´s, they look like Robin William´s arms in Hawaii! Yay!

On Sunday night, after I returned to Antigua, I was feeling bit lonely and had to eat dinner outside of the house since Sunday is an off-day for the host families. Just as I was thinking I would like a friend to eat with, I ran into two friends from school who were meeting two other friends from school for dinner, about 80% of the people I know in Antigua! It was great!

Digging back into the spanish this week. More later!

2 Comments:

At 10:11 AM, September 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey girl, sorry about all of the 14-yr-olds. Maybe some of them have older brothers (or single fathers?). I am glad to hear about the tan. Make sure you take pictures!
I know what you mean about travelling alone. I did something similar in Germany for a while. I hope you meet lots of other travellers. When I was in Germany I happened to pick the hostel that was hosting a jr-high field trip. Needless to say, they were not the coolest people to hang out with, and they had an uber-lame curfew.

 
At 12:41 AM, December 19, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Author theadventuresofapril.blogspot.com !
And all?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home