The Adventures of April

We shall not cease from exploration - And the end of all our exploring - Will be to arrive where we started - And know the place for the first time. -- T.S. Eliot

Monday, October 02, 2006

Into the Belly of the Beast

As some of you may know, I have accepted a job working for the Foreign Agricultural Service in Lima, Peru. I applied for this job literally hours before I left for Guatemala and had little idea what it would entail or that I actually had a chance in getting it. I will be working there for four months starting in February.

It isn´t for certain quite yet, because I still need to go through all of the security clearances to be able to work in the US Embassy.

Sounds great, huh? There is another side of it. To be honest, I don´t really agree with the work of the office, but I am viewing this as an excellent learning opportunity even though it is definitely not a career path for me. I really struggled over whether to take this position, and I think that I have made the right decision. I´m not foregoing some other opportunity to do this, and besides, the position will need to be filled by somebody, so why not me who will try to be a (tiny) force for good in the office?

So that´s my big news. At least now I know what I´m doing with the next 8 months of my life!

4 Comments:

At 12:19 AM, October 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and there we have your decision! tough one indeed, I didn't think you were going to go for it. It will be a great opportunity for you, even if it is tough. Will say more in email form. bye! Terris

 
At 11:03 PM, October 04, 2006, Blogger Lee Owens said...

April, I'm so glad you sent an email with a link to your blog again. Did you get my email requesting it? I was going crazy trying to find you. Oh, wait, I think I myspaced you, which wasn't smart. (I saw you'd just been on myspace the day before, though).

Anyways, I searched the www for your blog and found many other aprils with blogs in your neck of the woods, but not you. I was trying to make sure you knew about Val and give you her website info.

I'm glad to hear your new return date.

Candice is in labor as I type! Here comes baby Jett!

Please pray for me; I've got a tough morning tomorrow at school.

I just had an excellent time relaxing with ladies from my church this weekend.

In other news, my car battery died, I got a $300 ticket in a school zone, and I paid $500 for a crown on 1 tooth all within 1 hour of each other yesterday. However, the day was not lost, as I had a lovely time getting "gassed" at the dentist's office (I actually fell asleep while waiting), and Lee had flowers for me when I got home.

Ok, I'd better go to sleep. I miss sharing stories and laughing late at night! How do you like my email-length comments? :-)

 
At 11:04 PM, October 04, 2006, Blogger Lee Owens said...

ps: that was from me, lora, of course. it's signed in as lee because i'm on his computer. i'm too tired to use capital letters now.
bye.
-lco

 
At 5:05 PM, October 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah and I miss you and can't wait for you to some home. today we took Marek in to Sears for pictures, he is going to be a bat for Haloween and wore his costume in some of the pictures. Love you!

Deidre

 

Post a Comment

<< Home