The Adventures of April

We shall not cease from exploration - And the end of all our exploring - Will be to arrive where we started - And know the place for the first time. -- T.S. Eliot

Sunday, April 15, 2007

El Perro Necesita su Sueño de Belleza

One thing I didn't realize until I started traveling more around Latin America is that these countries are incredibly diverse and are home to not only indigenous Americans, descendants of Europeans, and mestizos (indigenous + European) but also people from Asia and Africa as well.

Saturday another intern, Adam, and I went down to Barrio Chino - Chinatown, located in central Lima. The area is much like other Chinatowns I've visited of Toronto and New York, except a bit smaller and with a Latin twist. Peruvians love Chinese food and their version of it is called chifa.

We went to a fantastic restaurant for dim sum, a type of meal where you are served little miniature appetizers (like tapas) for the entire meal. The waiter brings you little dishes that you can either pass on or try. I don't know the name of almost everything we ate, but it was absolutely delicious and I plan on going back.

I wrote last week that I saw another great hairless dog at an Incan pyramid in Lima. I returned there on Saturday, camera in tow, to try and snap a picture of myself with the fine specimen. Unfortunately the dog was sleeping somewhere and was not to be found. However, there was this poster of the dog whose name is Urpi, and so I settled for a picture with that.

Last night I saw a little hairless dog outside of a grocery store, but thought it might be too socially unacceptable to take a picture with somebody else's dog. I guess I could've blamed it on gringo-ness ("we take pictures with other people's dogs all the time in the US!") but I wasn't that creative at the moment.

This week has been an interesting week for me health-wise. Luckily, I have not been in too much pain and I got some very powerful drugs on Thursday that I think will do the trick. I imagine by this time next week I should be back to normal.

Tomorrow I leave for a work trip to Ayacucho. I'm really excited - Ayacucho is a beautiful colonial city up in the mountains. I will take plenty of pictures and have an update for you all next week!

3 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, April 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ja ja ja Thanks for the travel insurance advice!

 
At 12:15 PM, April 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl, your hair is getting long!

Sarah

 
At 9:35 PM, April 16, 2007, Blogger Gabe said...

Lovin' the Chifa.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home