The Adventures of April

We shall not cease from exploration - And the end of all our exploring - Will be to arrive where we started - And know the place for the first time. -- T.S. Eliot

Sunday, March 04, 2007

God is Love

I just have to say how good God has been to my while I've been in Lima. No matter what, He also provides. My tendency to worry just shows my lack of faith. As I enter into this next phase after my time in Peru, I know I'm going to need to trust in God even more to provide a meaningful job, a place to live, and a community.

Worry is so debilitating. When I was walking home from church today I saw these beautiful and brilliant yellow birds. Immediately I thought of the passage in the Bible that says

“That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing? Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are? Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?

And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?" (Matthew 6:25-30)


Here is a list (non-exhaustive, of course!) of things that I am thankful for and clearly see the hand of God in:

* A safe and comfortable place to live. (See previous post.)

* Getting connected to a Bible study and an awesome group of women with whom I can grow and be friends.

* Easy and cheap communication with my friends and family in the states and Canada.

* Interesting and informative work at the Embassy.

* Good health and safety.

* Spanish lessons.

* A friend at the Embassy who likes to do the same activities I do and is fun.

* A church where I can worship and understand in Spanish, as well as met other Peruvians.

* A caring community at the Embassy.
None of this I got through my own merit or by my own work. God is so awesome that He gave me all of this. I'm excited to see what else He's going to do during my time here. Just wanted to give thanks where thanks is due!

I've been listening to the Mars Hill 'Worship in Every Direction' CD and it is great, the first time I've enjoyed listening to explicitly Christian music outside of a church service in many many years. Here are a few lines that are really powerful to me:

May we never stop this dreaming of a better world
May we never stop believing in the impossible

We love the way you are the way you love and lead the way recreate emancipate the way you love and love and love and love and love and love and love and love and love

Our God is love our God is love and love can change the world.

We have been changed - to bring change

and we sing

Holy holy holy
you are
so powerfully beyond me

1 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, March 07, 2007, Blogger Gabe said...

April,
Tis the truth. God is ever mindful of us, his children, and I too believe that he blesses us, often beyond that which we deserve.

I'm still waiting for the Machu Picchu fairy though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home