The Adventures of April

We shall not cease from exploration - And the end of all our exploring - Will be to arrive where we started - And know the place for the first time. -- T.S. Eliot

Thursday, March 01, 2007

But is he a never nude?

Today the head of US Agency for International Development (US AID) was at our Embassy. US AID is the organization that implements all of the U.S.'s development and relief programs abroad. Ambassador Tobias (no relation to the Fünke's) spoke to us and it was quite interesting. He's pretty important considering he reports directly to Secretary Condi and Bush. It was ironic, however, that while he was talking about how far economically Peru has developed (which is indeed true, 7 % GDP growth!) just over his shoulder in the distance was a group of shacks on a hill without water, electricity, or sanitation. He took questions at the end, and I encouraged Gabe to ask him for a job, but he declined. (??)

When I stepped into the elevator to go back to my office this friendly man said "Hello! Who are you?" Turns out he was Ambassador Shapiro who is one rung lower than Ambassador Tobias. When Ambassador Struble introduced Ambassador Tobias we all had to stand because he didn't invite us to sit down, and I felt it bit like I was at church and we were about to sing a song. Alas, there was no singing.

2 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, March 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the latest updates. If you had a position where people stood in your presence, do you think you'd ever "forget" to let them sit down? It could be amusing to watch for a few minutes...

Your newphew looks adorable!

I'm on a fast internet connection, so I tried to Skype you. I'm also in your beloved Toronto, with much much much to tell you. I hope you're free soon!

 
At 5:49 PM, March 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, April. I went to Gabe's blog and tried to say this:
Hi, Gabe! I'm Lora, a friend of April's. It's nice to "meet" you! I love seeing what y'all are up to in Peru. Nice blog, by the way. Estoy enviosa. Have a lovely day. :)
...but couldn't, because I'm not a blogger or gmail user. Could you pass that on to him for me?
Gracias. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home