The Adventures of April

We shall not cease from exploration - And the end of all our exploring - Will be to arrive where we started - And know the place for the first time. -- T.S. Eliot

Friday, February 09, 2007

Viva Friday!

Today I had my security briefing, which I have to admit, I was quite disappointed by. Everybody told me that they were going to scare the daylights out of me so that I wouldn't even step out the door but alas, it had no such effect.

I also had a little meeting with the DCM, the Deputy Chief of Mission, who is second in command to the Ambassador and runs the Embassy while Ambassador Struble is away. She is very nice and I was impressed that she took the time to met with a lowly intern like myself.

A few days ago I met Ambassador Struble. I went to an economic strategy meeting. Did you know that you must stand when an Ambassador steps into the room and wait until they invite you to sit down? Learn something new everyday! He advised me that I should change my name to 'La Cruz" while I am here. (Cruz and Croix is cross in Spanish and French, respectively.)

The Embassy has summer hours so on Friday we are off at 12:30 PM! Nice set up. Gabe and I went down to central Lima and walked around the Plaza de Armas and the area surrounding. We also went to Cathedral San Francisco, which was fascinating because of its ancient library with books from 1450 and its catacombs. The picture is of a little happy bird in the fountain in the Plaza de Armas. Below is a little video of the same local.



Beneath the church, two and three levels beneath the ground through little musty and damp passage ways are huge receptacles of the bones of over 70,000 humans. Skulls, legs, arms, hip bones, etc. Some arranged in circular patterns going 90 feet deep. Very creepy and very claustrophobic at the same time.

After our tour at the church we wandered around a bit and Gabe befriended some security guards who took this very blurry picture of us.

4 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, February 11, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh the birds! I love to hang out with birds in piazza's!

 
At 1:21 PM, February 11, 2007, Blogger Andreita said...

Was fancy fingers there too?

 
At 10:36 PM, February 12, 2007, Blogger April said...

No, unfortunately there was no crazed man with miniature Michael Jackson puppets strapped to his fingers, making them dance to "Billie Jean" on a table.

Talented people like that are few and far between.

 
At 9:56 PM, February 17, 2007, Blogger Tbot said...

hey! i'm caught up now! I like the videos in your blog. it is very technological. I feel as if we sound the same on video- I am having that revelation right now as I am listening to my interviews on the dictaphone, man oh man, aren't we lucky that we don't have to be constantly listening to our own voices (or seeing our reflections, for that matter). Are you keeping up with my flickr?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home