The Adventures of April

We shall not cease from exploration - And the end of all our exploring - Will be to arrive where we started - And know the place for the first time. -- T.S. Eliot

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Estoy en Peru!

Buenos tardes! Estoy en Peru!

It is warm and sunny summer day here in Lima - the grass is green, the flowers are in bloom, and palm trees line the streets. My body is in shock.

Yesterday was a very long day. I've forgotten that an 8 hour plane ride is quite long. Despite the fact that there is a blizzard in the Midwest, all of my flights went perfectly fine. In fact, when I was flying into Newark, it was sunny and I had a lovely view of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty!

When I arrived in Lima, I needed to find my ride, Julio, who had a sign with my name on it. It was pretty funny and overwhelming, as developing country airports usually are! You step out of customs, and there is a big space partitioned off by a metal rail. Behind the rail is about, oh, 400 people looking at you and waiting for the person they are picking up.

I finally did find my ride and another intern at Embassy came along which was nice. His name is Gabe, he's from California, he went to BYU and he likes to line dance. Go friends!

This afternoon I am relaxing. I met with my supervisors at the Foreign Agriculture Service (FAS) and they seem very nice. Everybody so far has been so welcoming. I'm excited to learn more about the Embassy system and Lima. So far, so good!


Goodbye, Michigan!































Hello, Lima! My backyard, next to the pool.
Anybody care for a jump?

2 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, February 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a day to relax after travels! We can see how Skype works with our computers, but our connection cuts out a lot.

ttys :-)

 
At 11:43 AM, November 21, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey! I found your blog because I was just given the FAS internship in Lima. I'm just poring through your blog now... I'm dying to know what it's like in Peru, and what I can expect from the internship. Please send me an e-mail with basic advice, if you have time! My e-mail address is dan dot burd at gmail dot com. With the dots and the ats converted into . and @. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home