The Adventures of April

We shall not cease from exploration - And the end of all our exploring - Will be to arrive where we started - And know the place for the first time. -- T.S. Eliot

Friday, October 27, 2006

Monteverde

I spent the last two days in Monteverde, which is renowned for its cloud forest. On the bus on the way there I met a Japanese woman, Yuki, who was traveling by herself through Central and South America. She was really nice and funny so we ended up sharing a room at the hostel in Santa Elena. On the first day I went to a frog zoo type place, and saw a lot of frogs believe it or not. Let me tell you, there are some huge nasty looking frogs in the world! But there were also cool red and florescent green frogs as well. Good times!

On Thursday morning we did a zip line tour through the cloud forest. It was so cool! They strap this harness on you, and then you go whizzing waaaayyy above the rain forest at speeds of up to 50 mph! Some of the lines went right through the trees, so you were so close that you felt like you were about to run into everything. But obviously I never did, so it was really cool! I tried to take some pictures and videos, so we´ll have to see how those turn out. And since it is a cloud forest, sometimes you could disappear into the fog and then see the trees and platform rapidly approaching. It was really great and I wanted to do it again!

After that we walked around on these suspension bridges, way way above the ground. There were some howler monkeys and pretty birds as well. Yuki and I then went hiking in another part of the cloud forest. I´ve been in a lot of different types of rain forests, but this was definitely one of the coolest. Quite literally, as well. The temperature was nice for walking around, and the entire forest had an ethereal look with the fog, vines, trees, birds, and whatnot. Very cool!

Now I am chilling in Santa Anna. Today I am going to visit a friend from Alma College who is from here, and tomorrow I am going to beach for a few days before I fly home on Monday.

Hasta pronto!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home