The Adventures of April

We shall not cease from exploration - And the end of all our exploring - Will be to arrive where we started - And know the place for the first time. -- T.S. Eliot

Thursday, October 05, 2006

On the Road

On Monday I left Xela and took a bus to Guatemala City and then an overnight bus to Flores. It was a long long way. I got off the bus at 5 AM in Flores, and it was still dark and I needed to find my hotel. There was another gringa wandering around as well, a woman from Australia, so we ended up teaming up, seeing some sights together and sharing a room. An hour later at 6 AM we left to see Tikal. Tikal is one of the most magnificent places, it is the ruins of a huge Mayan city that dominated the region 1500 years ago. I had been there before because it is accessible from Belize, but it was nice to see it again.

Being a Tuesday morning in the hurricane season, there weren´t that many tourists there as well which was nice. The wildlife was amazing: howling monkeys, groups of monkeys moving in the trees above us, huge butterflies, and a creature that looked like a 25 pound gerbil. It was a nice visit, but naturally we were very tired from the overnight bus ride and early morning.

Yesterday I finished the rest of the trip to Tulum, Mexico. We had to go through Belize, which I was really interested in doing since I worked there three years ago. It was a little bit surreal; when we went past the turnoff for where I used to stay it just seemed so strange that it was so close. Belize is still exactly the same; bizarre, hot, and humid.

Many hours later, Tulum. Today was my first day at the beach at the ruins. It is so beautiful and has been very worth it! The sand is white, the water is blue, and there is this huge Mayan fortress right on the water. It was quite amazing.

While in Tulum, I am staying in the quint-essential hostel which means it has been easy to make friends. Today I hung out with a friendly German chap named Hardy (yes, as in the Hardy boys) who I guess probably suffers from many Americans comparing him to Ah-nold due to his accent and stature. Not too many Americans here.

Things are going well, tomorrow I´m going to Playa del Carmen!

Thanks for the emails and comments! Please remember to include your name with your comment!

1 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, October 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I worked this week in a GR school. Half my kids were from Guatemala and Mexico. And when I told them that I've been to both, they ask me miss are you mexican or guatemalan? So cute..most of them were born there but haven't been back. I will give you a call in El Salvador! So glad your meeting up with my friends. Can't wait to hear the stories

 

Post a Comment

<< Home