The Adventures of April

We shall not cease from exploration - And the end of all our exploring - Will be to arrive where we started - And know the place for the first time. -- T.S. Eliot

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Nicaragua

After San Salvador, I came to Managua, the capitol of Nicaragua. Not too impressed, the city is sprawled out and there isn´t that much to see. I stayed for only one night. In the morning, I had breakfast and a tour with a Jesuit priest from Detroit. He has been living in Nicaragua for twenty years. The city is strange because it is so desolate, even the downtown center with the Presidential Palace and everything is empty. An earthquake a while back rendered many buildings useless for a while, and the people haven´t returned. It was quite depressing.

We also saw an army tank that Italian dictator Mussolini had given Nicaraguan dictator General Somoza. I guess your friend really do reflect who you are!

After that meeting, I got ready to come to Granada, and much to my surprise, ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT was on TV! It was the season finally of the second season, where George puts Oscar in prison instead of himself, GOB accidentally washes black puppet Franklin, white ("Now he can have lunch at the country club!") and Tobias runs off with Kittie to Las Vegas to pursue his dream of being the Blue Man Group. Ahh, what an enjoyable 22 minutes! Who´s game for a marathon when I get home?

Granada is nice, one of the old colonial towns with the central park, old churches, and crap like that. As you can tell, I´ve done a lot of sight seeing! The hostel I am at is pretty cool though, it is an old colonial house with huge ceilings, old tiling and a garden in the middle. There are tons of backpackers here, but I swear they all just lie around, drink beer, smoke, and check their email (I´m two for four). Just been walking around the town a bit, and tomorrow I head to Costa Rica. Yippee! I´m staying with my cousin Andrea´s host family and looking forward to seeing a friend from college as well. Good stuff.

I changed my plane ticket so I am now coming home October 31 just in time for Halloween. I figured I could fit everything I wanted to do into this last week, and I´m kind of sick of traveling alone.

That´s all that´s new with me. Tienen un buen dia!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home