The Adventures of April

We shall not cease from exploration - And the end of all our exploring - Will be to arrive where we started - And know the place for the first time. -- T.S. Eliot

Monday, January 29, 2007

Peru 101

I've made it a personal goal of mine to try and help clear up some of the confusion regarding Latin America geography, specifically, the difference between Central America and South America. I understand that for those of you who aren't geographically inclined that this can be confusing (don't give yourself a hard time, the US educational system pays scant attention to our closest neighbors and allies to the south.)

Central America is the southern-most part of the North American continent, and it includes countries like Guatemala and Costa Rica. It narrows to an isthmus at Panama. That's where I was this fall.

South America is its own continent entirely - you guessed it - south of North America. That's where I'm going now. Peru is on the western coast of South America just below the equator. I've been to Brazil and Ecuador in S.A. already and I loved it.

Peru is notable for many reasons including it's sizable indigenous population and geographical diversity (deserts, rain forests, the Andes, etc.). Most people equate Peru with Machi Picchu (pictured) and if you've seen 'The Motorcycle Diaries,' you know what I'm talking about.

Peru is also in the same time zone as Grand Rapids! I know it sounds weird, but Lima (the capital city, not pronounced like the bean, but Lee-mha) is directly south of the US East Coast.

Hope that info was helpful! I'm sure I'll have more to post as I learn more as well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home